Tuesday, May 15, 2007

No, I did not perish in the fire.

So sorry blog reader...yes singular. I will have to post some photos and journal about my trip to the Dominican...Fantastico!
So on the morning of April 16 I was awake but just barely when I heard the fire alarm going off. I look out in the hall...nothing, look out my window...nothing. So I jump in the shower to get ready for work. As I am exiting the shower with my alarm still sounding I do smell a bit of smoke. So I towel off throw on my clothes from last night, put my hair in a ponytail still wet and grab #1. my purse containing my passport, #2. the sacred church needledpoint we have been slaving over for over a year now and head out to find Mimi. She is waiting for me when I come out and we proceed to the lobby of our building. Well, the smoke has cleared and the fire is almost all the way out but since it is a big building with some businesses as well they sounded a code 5 which means every station in a 10 mile radius responds. I counted about 20 fire trucks and 7 other emergency vehicles. We sat around outside for over an hour and then we were given the all clear. Mimi and I sat in the lobby and watched all the firemen come and go. Not a bad way to start the day I must say. I then had to call into my office and tell them we had a fire and I would be in late. "What's new" they replied. See, I'm not usually a tardy individual...ok...maybe a little, but only where work is concerned. The problem is that on Thursday of the previous week our water was shut off due to a broken line about 3 miles away from me. I get up and no water. Of course I could not go to work without a shower. Then on Friday...the next day...A tree fell over our driveway and we were all stuck in the parking garage until 10:30a.m. So when I called them about the fire I know they were questioning whether I should even come in at all, as was I. As you can see from the picture it was not a serious fire and it was far away from me but still you never know. It was on the news and in the paper and everything so it was sort of a big deal. It was caused by an extention cord which I have all over my place. Trust me I unplugged them all before I left for the Dominican.

1 comment:

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

I'm so relieved you're still with us.